Read Receipts coming to Teams

Microsoft [at Teams launch]: Teams is cool! Lots of features! New chat!

Users: Yay! Emoji! GIFs!

Users: Um, we may be a bit slow here, but how do you Tag a contact for Status Change as we do in
Skype? We use presence all the time, presence rocks.

Users: Also, it's very slow to update presence for another user, now we come to think of it.

Microsoft [loftily]: Oh, you don't need Presence any more, that's old stuff. Look, Teams isn't about Instant Messaging, where you can only message someone who is actively online, it's a Chat application, like WhatsApp. You don't check if someone is online in WhatsApp before messaging them, do you?

Users: Yes, but I want to know if someone has read my message - if I can see their presence, I know they have got the message. And, in WhatsApp I may not get presence, but I can get a Read Receipt.

Users: Look, when Lync came out, you told us that Rich Presence was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you were right, our users love it. They use Tag for Status Change all the time. OK, some users use it a bit too much, we'll admit, but for others, just occasionally when you urgently want to get hold of someone, it's really useful.

Microsoft [whispers to Dev Team]: they're not buying it. I think you're going to have to work on getting Presence working a bit more up-to-date, for one thing.

Microsoft [grudgingly, to users]: Oh, OK, as you insist. But we'll rename it as 'Notify when available' instead. But we'll also give you Read Receipts too. Because it's not Instant Messaging, it's Chat.

__________________________

Well, that may not really have been how it went, but that's how I perceived it. So, anyway, Notify When Available is coming at some point, and Microsoft have now announced that Read Receipts will be rolled out from next month:


The ability to make the admin change is already present in the Teams Admin console, on my tenant at least:



No news yet as to when 'Notify when available' is coming though!

Comments

  1. I may have quickly skim read your email, this does not constitute any form of contractual arrangement for me to reply, therefore no you can't have a read receipt... rant over

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poly CCX Phones and Time

My (automated) journey to Teams-only...

Facebook Portal - and Zoom